Wednesday 26 February 2014

No batteries......



Gorgeous postcard from Paige.

Fabric coil basket.
I am sorry for my lack of blogging but the truth is I have had no batteries in my camera and I kept forgetting to buy some. however today they where top of my shopping list. So a quick catch up with what I've been doing over the last few weeks. I had a moment of madness and decided to reorganise and decorate my sewing room. Not the best idea when you have a stack of work to do for uni and the deadlines are looming. It too three days to complete this wall over a period of a week. I have decided the other half of the room will have to wait till the summer holidays. It didn't stay neat and tidy like this for long the desk is now covered in sketchbooks, paints, pencils and lots of printed out images of Beetles and Skyscrapers. Yep uni homework. Today I received this gorgeous postcard from my beautiful niece Paige. I try to make and send her a fabric postcard each week but sadly I have not managed to do this for a couple of weeks now. However, she decided to send one to me how nice is that. Finally, one of the briefs I am working on at the minute is baskets. I have to make three non-traditional baskets and this is my first attempt at a fabric coiled basket. I have used my lovely hand dyed fabrics and a variegated rayon thread to stitch it all together. I think it turned out rather well. If I still have any readers thanks for your patience at my lack of posting and for following my blog. X:)

5 comments:

Caz said...

I love your sewing/work space. Want to come and tidy mine for me?? Love the fabric bowl.

Kath said...

I was particularly interested in your bowl, I presume you stitched it together by hand? Did you wrap fabric around rope?

Susan said...

Hi Caz sorry but youv'e got no chance hehehe, I cried after about an hour in I was that sorry I'd started it. x

Hi Kath, Oh dear I'm afraid it all sewed on my machine using a zigzag stitch. Part of the brief was to make a coil basket anyway we chose. I watched a few utube videos and I felt this was the one for me. I cut 1/2inch fabric strips and wrapped them around a piece of 1/4 inch piping cord. It was really nice to make. x

Lin said...

Hello Susan - well I know how time passes even if batteries are fully charged! What a super bright clean space you have created, despite the tears! And so lovely of Paige to send you a card. The bowl is super. Do you follow Kim Thittichais blog? There is a super bowl on there that one of her students has made. Somehow Susan I have managed to lose you on my blog list!! Could you put a folllow by email gadget on your blog please? xx

Susan said...

Hi Lin I have met Kim Thittichais a few times at the FOQ and watch a couple of her utube vuds but not seen her blog so thanks will check it out. :( ye've lost me hey ok will put a email thingie on X