Sunday 1 March 2009

Mistakes and Postcards:


These two postcards were made from a botched up quilt block, from my Grandmas Country Album Quilt and from my first attempt at Natalies pencil case roll. The quilt block was called Aunt Nonies grape block. As you can see, my grapes must have been on steroids because they were far to big. I had almost finish the block when I discovered that I had cut the wrong size circles for the grapes. I was just about to throw the block in the bin but I felt really bad. I had spent a lot of time on it even if it was not good enough for the quilt. Surely I could use it for something else???? I put the block aside and moved on to the pencil case roll. I had just added the binding when I noticed I had been a bit generous with my 1/4 inch seem allowance. I decided to trim the excess and as I was trimming, I cut clean through two corners on the binding. Another disaster! Once again I could not bring myself to throw it in the bin. All those lovely colours. Then tonight I had a brain storm (oh ok maybe a little shower) I could turn them into postcards. Hurray! What a great way to turn a disaster into a sucess. I think they both look good, even if I do say so myself.

5 comments:

jan said...

Waste not want not. Well done to you. Love them both. jan :-0

Rosa-Munda said...

Hi Susan, I love your idea! I will certainly be trying that one. Love your cards and your blog. Ros

Susan said...

Hello Ros and welcome to my blog. I am delighted that you like the recycle idea and I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I hope you will pop by again soon. Love Susan

Kath said...

So now I see how you made the one you sent me! It is very pretty, I love it, Kath x

Gwen said...

hiya susan, love the way you used your "mistakes" to make postcards, they look better than my originals! enjoy reading your blog, keep it up!love Gwen x