Thursday 12 November 2009

A taste of Africa:



Saturday 7th November was our area day and it was a great success. The speaker was Rosalind Johannson and she talked about her experiences and textiles of Africa. It was truly interesting and her worked reflected the colours and cultures of a country that has been through so much through the years. In the afternoon Rosalind taught a work shop making a wall hanging using African fabrics. Whilst I did not participate in the work shop due to other commitments. I did take the hand out and purchased the pack of fabrics. i had a brain wave when i got home I was going to make my own interpretation and instead of a wall hanging I would make it my journal quilt for November. Two birds with one stone hey. The picture of the African person I copied from a scrap of fabric I begged from Hiedi. I made my own stencil and using fabric paint stenciled the image to the cream fabric. I enjoyed making this little piece of work but best of all I had a great day Saturday and I am so looking forward to our next area day in May 2010.

1 comment:

Kath said...

This reminds me of the fabulous African ladies you made me, with the wooden beads in their hair. Lovely warm colours for a cold dreary day.Kx